- The Select Program was established to provide an additional opportunity for players who wish to improve their softball skills beyond the regular league season but who have not yet reached the Junior Olympic “A” Classification skill level. This program is available for the 8U through 14U divisions.
- SDYSA Select Team will practice together, play in friendlies and tournaments against leagues. Participation is limited to one day per week.
- Although being on a Select Team does not automatically determine All Star team ranking, participants should aspire to play on an SDYSA 2023 All-Star team. Please note, that even though players will benefit from the advanced play and skills training, participation in the Select team is not a guarantee that all players will make the SDYSA 2023 All Star team.
- Must be registered for SDYSA prior to attending tryout
- Registration must be paid in full
- Select players must play in a minimum of 75 percent of the leagues scheduled games during the current season.
- First round of Select tryouts start on January 7th.
Select Team Will:
Players will be invited to participate in the Select team by a team of coaches approved by the SDYSA Board. Interested players will be evaluated. The final number of players on each team or teams will be determined based on interest and the results of the evaluation period.
- Focus on skills development in preparation for high level play.
- Provide opportunities to play other Select teams.
- Focus on position development. Every position on the field is critically important during Championship level play. Developing players who know their position and successfully execute that position make us a stronger team and a stronger league. This program will help groom players to be the best at the position for which they exhibit the strongest skills.
Select Team Will Not:
- Prevent players from trying out for All Stars. Not playing on the Select team will not prevent players for making the All Star team(s) nor does playing on the team guarantee All Star participation.
- Provide equal playing time for all players. The team’s head coach will have the discretion to field the best 9-10 players on the team. It will be up to the coach to make this decision for each game.